Rahul was extremely popular among his friends because of his caring (over caring?) attitude. Always ready to lend an ear to others pains and sufferings, and being there. One look at a friend, family member or for that matter, a colleague, and his intuition would always tell him if they were anguished. His soulful eyes made them open up to him.
However, he was so impacted by the negative emotions of others that he ended up into being a nervous wreck himself. He is fine, now thanks to new practices he adopted in his life.
Emotions such as fear, anger, frustration, and pain are energies. If you are not careful, you are vulnerable to absorb these energies from people like a sponge. Like every person, you also have a different threshold level to which you can expose yourself to others’ negative emotions – and you should try your best not to cross that threshold level.
Let’s pause for a minute here. We are not saying that we should be immune to others fears and problems, only that we should not allow ourselves to be impacted by them. We should not be a sponge. Also, we should make sure that we cleanse all the negativity we absorb.
Here are a few pointers on how to do it:
- Try to understand in which type of situations your emotions are most influenced by others around you. Avoid interactions that might trigger negative emotions in such situations.
- If you are negatively impacted by certain people – and feel stressed or intimidated in their company, keep them at an arm’s length.
- It is important to set your own time limits – if you can tolerate pessimistic conversations only for a few minutes without them getting absorbed by you, don’t be a part of these conversations for more than those few minutes.
- Rejuvenate yourself regularly – try to find peace and tranquillity – happy family pictures and serene nature paintings with cascading streams have a calming effect.
- If you are not able to walk away from a situation where you are being adversely impacted by others emotions – switch off! Focus on your breathing. Keep exhaling negativity and inhaling calm.
- Flush out the harm, and become less prone to being impacted in future. Try yoga and breathing techniques. These practices draw upon emotional centering and don’t let you impacted by storms of others.
- Positivity can have as big an impact on your well-being as negativity. Keep positive company, share positive experiences – a sure shot way to absorb positivity.
- Tune into positive side of things. Be with people who see bright side of things.
- Art, music and positive words have the magical power to wash away negativity you have absorbed – immerse in them.
- Food too can help. A high protein meal before entering into a stressful situation or conversation lifts your mood and makes you less vulnerable.
A stroll in beautiful natural surroundings, absorbing the beauty, inhaling the fresh air and assimilating the calming effect it exudes are the perfect antidote to any negativity you might have absorbed.
Happyho provide best Meditation classes and yoga classes in Noida and Delhi NCR India area.