On the world stage of spirituality, the two words that have become really catchy, besides Yoga, Tantra and Mindfulness. And Tantra comes on the top. For many decades, it has remained very saleable, because of one reason–its association with sex.
Originating in the realm of Hinduism & Tibetan Buddhism, Tantra is an ancient path of meditation. In recent times, the path has become fairly more popular because what it has to say about sexual practices.
As interest in Tantra has grown in the West, its perception has deviated from the Tantric traditions. It was seen as a “cult of ecstasy”, combining sexuality and spirituality to change Western attitudes towards sex. Hence for many modern readers Tantra is now synonymous with “spiritual sex” or “sacred sexuality,” a belief that sex should be recognized as a sacred act capable of elevating its participants to a higher spiritual plane.
Tantra views each aspect of human life (yes, you guessed it right! including sex) as a way for personal transformation. Our entire life can be seen as a meditation; all our activities – eating, dancing, studying, painting, making love – can be based on a high level of awareness in them. Happy Ho organizes best Meditation and Tarot classes in Noida and Delhi NCR area in India.
It is believed in the Hindu Tantric traditions that when sex is practiced with awareness and a certain sense of connection then it could lead to enlightenment. Tantric sex is extremely slow in nature with focus on breathing, eye contact, touching and developing intimacy with the person you are performing it with. Orgasm here is not the goal but rather prolonging this intensity of connection.
Women usually take longer to climax so this slow sex is usually in line with the feminine energies. And men get to experience what’s happening in their entire body instead of rushing into orgasming. Win-win for both!
Here are few guiding principles when it comes to Tantric Sex:
- Breathing makes you more mindful of each moment and heightens your sensitivity towards each act.
- Slowing Down means if you are used to forty strokes in ten minutes then bring it down to four strokes in the same amount of time. Impatient people are likely to walk off the field quickly when it comes to this step.
- Eye Gazing allows you to initiate, maintain and nurture a deep connection with someone during the act. It’s almost like staring into their soul.
- Movement allows all the important energy to move around in the body. So imagine energy originating in your brain, passing onto your spine and spreading to the rest of your body, and then flowing down into your penis. From there it enters your partner.
In addition, the following are five practices for you and your partner to embrace together:
- Breathe consciously & deeply.
- Be present & aware.
- Practice acceptance & non-judgement.
- Meditate–*Clear out the cobwebs. Open your mind, heart and spirit to love through mindfulness meditation practices.* Tap into your sexual energy with a Kundalini meditation.
- Invite new possibilities.
So are you ready to try the benefits of this ancient meditation in your bedroom?