True effortless action only arises when we have been transformed from the inside out. On it own, the relaxation method cannot achieve this. However the mental stillness that it produces triggers a greater receptivity to the divine impulse that is try responsible for our transformation. You see, when we are filled with tension and worries, we tend to deflect the higher help that comes through transmission. By relaxing ourselves we accrue greater benefit.
So the relaxation methods is a kind of lubricant, which allows the real spiritual work to flow unhindered. The purpose of relaxing body prior to meditation is only to facilitate that divine work. When we are in a deeply relaxed state, our interference in the process is minimised and we become more receptive. We become open to the subtle shower of transmission that soothe our meditative hearts.
The relaxation method consists of a set of sequential suggestions that help us relax . It is best when used immediately prior to meditation, but we can use it whenever we feel the need. You can also help others to relax by reciting the suggestions to them, There is no need memorise these suggestions verbatim. By understanding the essence of relaxation method, you own words may intuitively emerge. After some time, you won’t even require the method. You wont need to go through the entire process in such a systematic way. Within the space of a single breath you will be able to relax yourself completely.
- Close your eyes very softly and very gently.
- Let’s begin with the toes. Wiggle your toes. Now feel them relax
- Relax your ankles and feet. Feel the energy from Mother Earth entering the soles of your feet. Feel it move up your feet to your knees, relaxing the legs.
- Relax your thighs. The energy moves up your legs….. relaxing them.
- Now, deeply relax your hips…stomach… and waist.
- Relax and back. From the top to the bottom, the entire back is relaxed.
- Relax your chest…and shoulders. Fee your shoulders simply melting away.
- Relax your upper arms. Relax each muscle in your forearms…your hands…right up to your finger tips.
- Relax your neck muscles. More your awareness up to your face. Relax your jaw…mouth…nose …eyes and eyelids…earlobes…facial muscles…forehead…all the way to the top of your head.
- Feel how your whole body is now completely relaxed. Scan from top to toe – if any part of the body needs your attention, revisit it and ensure that it is relaxed.
- Move your attention to your heart. Rest there for a little while… Feel immersed in the love and light in your heart.
- Remain still and quite, and slowly become absorbed in yourself.
- Remain absorbed for as long as you want., until you feel ready to come out.